Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Gratitude

There's nothing quite like a retraction of your liberties to help you appreciate them more fully.

I'm home most days, working with plants in some capacity, even if that means only entering the quantities of bulk herbs on a spread sheet. Some days take me out into the garden, or further afield, out into the desert.

Recently, I agreed to work one day a week at a friend's wine shop, allowing him the opportunity to run errands and set meetings. He and his wife have two trips planned for the Summer, so I'll have a four-week stint and another one for two weeks.

It didn't seem like a big deal, I can always use the spending money.

But that morning, everything was an ordeal. Breakfast seemed insurmountable; packing a lunch elicited feelings of panic. I left with damp hair and a feeling of dread.

Oh, I got over it. I absorbed a quick tutorial on French wine, put up a display of Pinot Grigio, and rung up customers. And on the drive home, sitting in traffic with the other commuters, I reflected on my good fortune: to spend (the majority of) my days at home with the herbs.

No comments:

Tweets by @La_Yerberia Tweets by @La_Yerberia